Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Great Movie Quotes - Part Three

Tim Robbins and Morgan Freeman in The Shawshank Redemption (1994)


This is the third installment in my list of Favorite Movie Quotes (see previous posts here and here). Again, I'm not after the famous quotes everyone knows ("Here's looking at you, kid."), but some great quotes that aren't as well known. These are listed in chronological order:


“You know for a charming, intelligent girl, you’ve certainly surrounded yourself with a remarkable collection of dopes.” – Mark McPherson (Dana Andrews) to Laura Hunt (Gene Tierney) – Laura (1944)

Dana Andrews and Gene Tierney in Laura (1944)



“To direct a picture, a man needs humility. Do you have humility, Mr. Shields?” – Von Ellstein (Ivan Triesault) to Jonathan Shields (Kirk Douglas)
The Bad and the Beautiful (1952)


“I made my 30th birthday and I’m not young anymore.” - Val Xavier (Marlon Brando)
“Oh, you’re young at thirty.” - Vee Talbot (Maureen Stapleton)
“Well, you’re not young at thirty if you’ve been on a party since you were fifteen.” – The Fugitive Kind (1960)


“If it didn’t take men to make babies, I wouldn’t have anything to do with any of you.”- Jerry Bondi (Gena Rowlands) to John Burns (Kirk Douglas) – Lonely Are The Brave (1962)


“I’m with a guy who don’t know where Wyoming is. You think you got problems?” – Sonny (Al Pacino) during the phone call to his “wife” Leon (Chris Sarandon) - Dog Day Afternoon (1975)

Al Pacino in Dog Day Afternoon (1975)



“The main thing about money Bud, it makes you do things you don’t want to do.” - Lou Mannheim (Hal Holbrook) to Bud Fox (Charlie Sheen) – Wall Street (1987)


“I was just thinking what an interesting concept it is to eliminate the writer from the artistic process. If we can just get rid of the actors and the directors, maybe we’ve got something here.” – Griffin Mill (Tim Robbins) - The Player (1992)

“The funny thing is on the outside, I was an honest man – straight as an arrow. I had to come to prison to be a crook.” – Andy Dufresne (Tim Robbins) to Red (Morgan Freeman) – The Shawshank Redemption (1994)


“I love trains, don’t you Ned?” – Michael Collins (Liam Neeson)
‘”What’s so special about them?” – Ned Broy (Stephen Rea)
“They make me think of places I know I’ll never see.” – Michael Collins (1996)

Liam Neeson in Michael Collins (1996)




“You never see a U-haul behind a hearse. The Egyptians tried it. It doesn’t work.” – Garber (Denzel Washington) to Ryder (John Travolta) – The Taking of Pelham 123 (2009)

Denzel Washington in The Taking of Pelham 123 (2009)

No comments:

Post a Comment